St. Leo’s Benevolent Society at St. Michael’s Church, c.1911

posted in: City of Rochester | 0

Rochester has a long tradition of charitable organizations, many of them being benevolent societies.  Before the Civil War there were twelve in Rochester.  By 1870 there were 20, and that number doubled by 1880.  These societies, often based in religious and ethnic affiliations, were established in part to help ease the financial burdens of other charities.  Much of their work dealt with integrating the numerous immigrants coming into the city through sponsorship and social welfare.  In 1846 more than half of head of households were foreign born.  By 1890 over two-thirds of Rochester’s population was either foreign born or born to immigrant parents.  St. Michael’s was established c.1873 and the church at 869 North Clinton Avenue was dedicated in 1890.  This photograph was taken on the north side of Parish Hall located behind the church.  Reproduced from 8½” x 27” photograph.

The G.L. Miner Company, c.1910

posted in: City of Rochester | 0

The G.L. Miner Company, c.1910

First listed in the City of Rochester Business Directory in 1905, The G.L. Miner Company was a dealer of motorcycles. Until 1923 it was located on Clinton Avenue at the corner of Court Street, now Xerox Tower. The view is from Clinton Avenue near the northeast corner of Washington Square Park looking towards Court Street. In the background the tower of the old First Unitarian Church is visible. Reproduced from 2” x 3 ¼” photograph.

Vera Photo Co., c.1910

posted in: City of Rochester | 0

Printed on reverse: “MADE BY VERA PHOTO CO. 273 MAIN ST. EAST, Directly opposite North Street, (and only one flight up) Next door to McCurdy’s.” Reproduced from 1¼” x 2” photographs.

Henry Lomb Memorial, c.1950

posted in: City of Rochester | 0

In 1932 the 48-foot-tall granite obelisk was dedicated to Henry Lomb (1828-1908); co-founder of Bausch & Lomb Optical Company, Civil War Captain, philanthropist and first president of Mechanics Institute, now Rochester Institute of Technology.  The first two photographs are taken from Lomb Memorial Park looking towards the intersection of Martin Street and Sheridan Street (now Upper Falls Boulevard).  Coca-Cola Bottling of Rochester is now on that site.  The third photograph is a view of Lowell Street looking towards Galusha Street.  In the background you can see the Model Lunch at 26 Lowell Street and Lowell Restaurant located at 23 Lowell Street.  Reproduced from 127 negatives.

To see full gallery click here.

East High, c.1903

posted in: City of Rochester | 0

East High, c.1903
East High, c.1903 – East High School designed by J. Foster Warner and located on Alexander Street. Opened April 15th 1903, it served as a high school until 1959. Reproduced from 2¼” x 3” cyanotype.

The Breezer, c.1916

posted in: City of Rochester | 0

The Breezer, c.1916 - L.A. Thompson's Scenic Railway - Located at Ontario Beach Park, it was first called the 'Russian Railway' and later became 'The Breezer'. The park and ride closed on Labor Day 1919. Reproduced from 2¾” x 4” photograph.
The Breezer, c.1916 – L.A. Thompson’s Scenic Railway – Located at Ontario Beach Park, it was first called the ‘Russian Railway’ and later became ‘The Breezer’. The park and ride closed on Labor Day 1919. Reproduced from 2¾” x 4” photograph.