Rochester Canoe Club, Thistle Races, c.1954

posted in: Irondequoit, Whiting Collection | 0

George Henry Harris (1843-1893) founder of the Rochester Canoe Club, is one of Rochester’s most interesting citizens.  His grandparents settled in Rochester in the early 1800’s.  As a boy his family resided near the bend of the Genesee river where the river campus of the University of Rochester is, and it was there that he developed a love for Native American life.  When he was a young boy he was instrumental in saving the lives of Indian children caught in river rapids in a canoe with no paddles.  One of the boys was Onoto, son of Tall Chief.  George’s father and Tall Chief established an exchange visit where the boys would stay with each other’s family’s.  George learned Iroquois and began a life devoted to the friendship and understanding of Native Americans.  George Henry Harris was a well-respected historian and lecturer and in 1889 was adopted into the Wolf Clan of the Seneca Indians and given the name “Ho-tar-shan-nyoh”, the Pathfinder.

Established in 1882, the Rochester Canoe Club is the oldest continuous sailing club in Rochester.  There are no longer canoes; by 1886 sailing became the direction of the club, but the name remains in honor of the history.  Thistle Racing was introduced in 1952, and by 1955 only Thistle boats were being raced.  That has since changed and current fleets of the RCC include Sunfish, JY-15, Thistle and Optimist.  From the Whiting Collection.  Reproduced from 4”x 5” negatives.

To see full gallery click here.

Gannett Residence, 195 Sandringham Road, c.1953

posted in: Brighton, Whiting Collection | 0

Residence of Frank E. and Caroline W. Gannett.  Publisher and founder of the Gannett Company, Inc., Frank Gannett began his publishing career in 1906 with the purchase of the Elmira Gazette and the Ithaca Journal.  In 1918 he moved to Rochester and formed the Times-Union.  Gannett was a leader of technological advancements in the newspaper industry.  He used shortwave radio for quicker reporting, color printing presses and invested in the teletypesetter; an apparatus used for remotely setting type by telegraph.  At the time of his death in 1957, Gannett owned 22 newspapers, 4 radio stations and 3 television stations.  A native to Rochester, Caroline Gannett was involved in numerous social and civic works.  Some of the organizations that she supported were Rochester Institute of Technology, the University of Rochester, Rochester Museum and Science Center, the Rochester chapter of the American Red Cross, and many others.  Her dedication to education and children led her to positions with Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York, Syracuse University Youth Development Program, the 1960 White House Conference on Children and Youth and numerous other organizations.  From the Whiting Collection.  Reproduced from 4”x 5” negatives.

To see full gallery click here.

Tobin Residence, 756 Rock Beach Road, c.1957

posted in: Irondequoit, Whiting Collection | 0

Residence of Frederick M. Tobin, president of the Tobin Packaging Company Inc.  Frederick M. Tobin successfully established several meat packaging plants in New York and Iowa.  In 1942 the merger of these plants formed the Tobin Packaging Company Inc.  Although not the creator of the White Hot, he improved the recipe and preparation.  At its height, the Tobin Packaging Company was considered the largest meat packing company in the North-East.  From the Whiting Collection.  Reproduced from 4”x 5” negatives.

To see full gallery click here.