Residence of Frank E. and Caroline W. Gannett. Publisher and founder of the Gannett Company, Inc., Frank Gannett began his publishing career in 1906 with the purchase of the Elmira Gazette and the Ithaca Journal. In 1918 he moved to Rochester and formed the Times-Union. Gannett was a leader of technological advancements in the newspaper industry. He used shortwave radio for quicker reporting, color printing presses and invested in the teletypesetter; an apparatus used for remotely setting type by telegraph. At the time of his death in 1957, Gannett owned 22 newspapers, 4 radio stations and 3 television stations. A native to Rochester, Caroline Gannett was involved in numerous social and civic works. Some of the organizations that she supported were Rochester Institute of Technology, the University of Rochester, Rochester Museum and Science Center, the Rochester chapter of the American Red Cross, and many others. Her dedication to education and children led her to positions with Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York, Syracuse University Youth Development Program, the 1960 White House Conference on Children and Youth and numerous other organizations. From the Whiting Collection. Reproduced from 4”x 5” negatives.