Concerned by the movement of hotel and retail business moving to the east side of the river Daniel Powers, Samuel Wilder, Patrick Barry, George Ellwanger and Mortimer F. Reynolds invested in the construction of the Powers Hotel. Located adjacent to the Powers Building and on the site of the demolished National Hotel, construction was begun in 1881. Designed by A.J. Warner and constructed with the latest fireproof materials, it was considered the safest and most palatial hotel in America. The hotel was completed in April 1883 at a cost of $500,000. Located at 36 West Main Street, it is currently the Executive Office Building. Reproduced from 3 ½” x 5 ½” postcard.